Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Men in Dresses

How weird would it have been if we saw this acted out back in Shakespeare's day? Every character would have been a man. How would you react to a man dressing as a woman? Would that have any effect on the way you portray the characters? Would it make you feel like the scenes in the bedroom were less than serious?

I think that it would have been difficult for me to watch this play acted out if everyone was a man. I just think men should not wear dresses. You would see women with beards. I probably would have taken it a lot less seriously because I wouldn't be able to hold in my laughter if a man came out in an elegant gown. It would be very awkward for me for some reason.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder, though, if the same social norms that make you adverse to the idea of men in dresses would make men-playing-women on stage feel familiar in the seventeenth century.

    ReplyDelete